What is HACCP and is every establishment required to submit a HACCP plan?

HACCP stands for hazard analysis critical control point, this is a food safety system generally utilized by food manufacturers and harvest facilities. HACCP requires detailed plans and records to be written and kept by the establishment to insure that food safety is achieved before distribution to the public. Retail food establishments will be required to submit a HACCP plan to the COSM Environmental Health Department if they utilize the following specialized processes:

-Smoking food as a method of food preservation rather than as a method of flavor enhancement;

-Curing food;

-Using food additives or adding components such as vinegar: to preserve/render non-time/temperature control for safety food;

-Packaging time/temperature control for safety food using Reduced Oxygen Packaging method except where the growth of Clostridium botulinum and Listeria Monocytogenes are controlled;

-Operating a molluscan shellfish life-support system display tank used to store and display shellfish that are offered for human consumption;

-Custom processing animals that are for personal use as food and not for sale or service in a food establishment;

-Preparing food by another method that is determined by the regulatory authority to require a variance; or

-Sprouting seeds (such as alfalfa or wheat grass) or beans in a retail food establishment.

You may contact the Code Compliance-Environmental Health Division for additional information regarding HACCP.

Show All Answers

1. Is a Certified Food Manager Certificate required? How long does it last and how much does it cost?
2. Can the City hold certification classes for Certified Food Manager and Food Handler?
3. What are the regulations for allowing direct sell from local produce farms to a food establishment? (Farm to table)
4. Where can I find the guidelines for Farmers Markets and the Cottage Food laws?
5. Is there an exception for Fixed Food Establishments to obtain a Temporary Food Establishment Permit for events?
6. Are Mobile Food Units required to obtain a Temporary Food Establishment Permit to take part of an event?
7. Is the TFER inspection report Quick Reference available for reference?
8. Why do Mobile Food Units have to move each day and will this requirement change if parked in an established Food Truck Park?
9. Is a Temporary Food Establishment Permit required for contestants participating in a judging contest? Can samples be given with or without a fee?
10. Why does a Food Handler have to be present at the booth where food is being prepared and not just available?
11. Are events associated with SMCISD exempt from obtaining a Temporary Food Establishment Permit and paying the associated fee?
12. What is HACCP and is every establishment required to submit a HACCP plan?
13. How can an establishment submit a variance requesting a modification or waiver to one or more requirements of TFER?