Grave Sites to Visit
At San Marcos Cemetery - popularly called "City Cemetery" - one of the grave sites to be visited include founding father William L. Lindsey, who was born in 1800 and died in 1852, only one year after he, General Edward Burleson and Dr. Eli T. Merriman, founded the city. Another stop will be at the graves of prominent Mexican American doctor, Dr. Daniel Rojo, and Willis and Vada Callihan, prominent African American builder and teacher. The cemetery is located at 1001 Ranch Road 12.
Owned and managed by the City of San Marcos, the San Marcos City Cemetery was part of an original 10-acre tract of land that was purchased by the San Marcos Cemetery Association in 1876 for "$300 in silver coin." It has had three additions since that time.
Several of the bodies interred in the city's original cemetery located downtown were moved to the new location and others moved to cemeteries in the surrounding area. This is why some of the inscriptions predate 1876.
The first recorded burial at the cemetery's present site was Major C. Rogers in May of 1876, although several early San Marcos settlers were buried in the northwestern part of the cemetery where they lie in unmarked graves.
The cemetery chapel was built in the 1890s and was sold to the city, along with the cemetery, in May of 1924. The chapel was named a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in1973 and entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.