Veterans Month of Service
The City of San Marcos, with assistance from the Veterans Affairs Advisory Committee, will be hosting a month of service opportunities for the community to honor all who have served. These opportunities are in addition to the traditional Veterans Day Parade, which is held annually the Saturday before Veterans Day.
The public is encouraged to decorate their home, vehicle, bike, and/or place of business with flags, bunting, yellow ribbons, and other patriotic items for the month of November. The public is also encouraged to turn their porch light green for the month for the “Greenlight a Vet” initiative.
A Veterans Story Map highlighting the ways that San Marcos honors and celebrates our Veterans can be found on the Honoring Our Veterans website.
2023 Weekly calls to action:
- November 1-7 – Honor a Veteran: Submit a photo of a veteran you wish to honor to our San Marcos Veterans Story Map or by email with the name and a brief description of that person. The story map is an interactive map with pictures and service stories of Veterans from all wars. An album will be created on our Facebook page to include submitted photos and descriptions.
- November 11 – Celebrate our Veterans at the annual Veterans Day Parade in downtown San Marcos. The parade begins at 10am.
- November 8-14 – Donate to Wreath’s Across America: Donations made will go towards a remembrance wreath being placed on gravesites of veterans buried in the City of San Marcos Cemetery on December 16, 2023. Sponsor a wreath or sign up to volunteer at wreathsacrossamerica.org/tx0916.
- November 15-21 – Write a letter: The public is encouraged to write a letter to a veteran living in a Texas State Veteran Home. The Veterans Land Board Mail Drop Program allows us to show appreciation for a Veteran and their service and dedication to our great nation.
- November 22-30 - Support the Hays County Food Bank. Food items can also be ordered on Amazon and delivered to the Food Bank. Monetary donations can be made online at the Hays County Food Bank's donation webpage or by mailing them a check.